Yesterday we filed a lawsuit against both the Pacific northwest Mennonite Conference and the Western Mennonite School in Salem, Oregon. We filed on behalf of our client, who was a freshman at the religious school when she was sexually abused by her Geography teacher, Matthew Yoder. Yoder was arrested and sentenced to prison at the Shutter creek Correctional Institution in North Bend, Oregon.
We wrote about this in depth in a blog post yesterday.
This is a pretty big lawsuit, and many media organizations carried the story, including the following:
- The Oregonian Newspaper in Portland: Former Western Mennonite School student sues for $5.5 million, says school knew teacher had been accused of sexual abuse
- The Statesman Journal Newspaper in Salem: Western Mennonite sued for failing to protect student
- The Register Guard in Eugene: Oregon teenager sexually abused by teacher sues Western Mennonite School
- OPB (NPR for Oregon): Woman Sues Mennonite School In Salem Over Sex Abuse
- KATU News: Student abused by teacher sues Western Mennonite School
- Yamhill Valley News Register in McMinville: Sex abuse victim sues Western Mennonite School
- KPTV News (Fox 12): Lawsuit seeks $5 million from school due to sex abuse by teacher